Summer tends to make us want to eat lighter, and fish feels that way to me…so with a little “Deadliest Catch” in mind, I’d like to give you a few tips about purchasing your seafood:Summer tends to make us want to eat lighter, and fish feels that way to me…so with a little “Deadliest Catch” in mind, I’d like to give you a few tips about purchasing your seafood:
• Stay away from purveyors who don’t display their seafood directly on ice – all seafood needs to STAY as cold as possible at all times. It’s the protein that spoils the fastest!
• If you’re buying something premade and packaged (like a stuffed flounder), there should be virtually no accumulated liquid in the package.
• Fish should smell like a cross between the ocean and a clean running creek. If it smells too fishy, something’s “fishy”.
• It’s best to not be lazy about your shrimp. By it shell on and clean it at home – the shell holds in moisture which keeps your shrimp plump and firm. Besides, the shells can be used for a broth or sauce that will GREATLY enhance your shrimp!
• If you’ve got a recipe you want to try but can’t find the particular seafood it’s asking for, ask your fishmonger. Virtually EVERY fish has one or two perfect substitutions – get what’s freshest!
Lula’s for Lunch…and More! Catering wishes for you the most fabulous summer ever – loaded with delicious fresh seafood! The picture is of a GORGEOUS Steelhead Trout (this particular filet weighing in at about 4.5 pounds… 🙂 )