• 1 (3 pounds) boneless chuck roast
• 2 tablespoon olive oil
• Salt and freshly ground black pepper
• 1 large yellow onion, coarsely chopped
• 3 cloves garlic, minced
• 1 (14.5 ounces) can of beef broth
• 3/4 cup dry red wine, optional
• 2 sprigs of fresh thyme
• 2 sprigs of fresh rosemary
• 1 bay leaf
• 2 pounds Yukon gold potatoes, diced into 1 1/2 inch pieces
• 6 medium carrots, peeled and chopped into 1 1/2-inch pieces
Preheat the oven to 275 degrees F.
In a large dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Season the roast with salt and pepper. Place the roast in the dutch oven and brown on each side for 2 minutes per side. Place the roast on a cutting board or plate.
Saute the onions until they brown (4-5 minutes) and add in the garlic for the last minute.
Add the roast back to the pan. Pour the beef broth and red wine (if using) over the roast and add the thyme, rosemary, and bay leaf. Once the pot reaches a simmer, cover the pot and transfer to the oven. Cook for 2 hours.
After 2 hours, remove from the oven and add the carrots and potatoes. Cover again and cook for an additional 1-1 ½ hours until everything is tender.
Cut into large pieces or shred and serve warm.